Saturday, March 4, 2017

ANOTHER LOOK AT LENT

It's Lent!  Forty days before Easter. It is time to give up something. Let me see. I am a little overweight--chocolate , cheese or ice cream for a start?  How about TV?  Oh no, forget that! March Madness is starting--college basketball games. Wait a minute.  

What am I thinking. Even if I give up sweets or TV, I know myself only too well. Just as soon as Lent is over, I will be right back into the sugar bowl and watching theTV.  I don't think I really understand Lent.

From a religious point of view, I think it is a time for man to give up something in honor of the Lord's great sacrifice.

 The more I thought about it and what I wanted to give up, I was more aware of my old man of sin, the flesh.  It doesn't like to give up anything.

But isn't that the point. It is a sacrifice for only forty days.  I could at least do that. It sounded good. 

 I began to ask the Lord what He might like me to give up for Lent. To my surprise, Roman 12:1 and 2 came to mind."I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." 

He, then, spoke to my heart, "My daughter, the only thing I desire is for you to give me your whole heart every day ."

Then an acrostic for Lent came to mind. 
                    
                 Live Eternally Now Today (Lent)

Now is the day of salvation.  He has put eternity in our hearts. Every day is to be a blessing unto the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is always good to hear from you.