Pages

Sunday, July 14, 2019

IS JESUS THE MESSIAH?

I have something interesting to share with you.  Do you remember how on the cross Jesus cried out "Eli, Eli, Lama sabachthani?"My God my God why have you forsaken me?"  I have always wondered why. I assumed that it was at that time He became my sin and the Father had to turn His head away.  I think it is still good a reason, however, I would like to share another thought to ponder.

If Jesus was the Messiah, where was the proof? When Jesus cried out on the cross, "My God my God why hast thou forsaken me?", He was singing in His weaken voice Psalm 22, " My God My God why have you forsaken Me' The Jews knew this song.  When Jesus sang it from the cross He was declaring , "I am He."  The Jews were very familiar with this Psalm and believed that the Messiah would quote it when He came. In fact, someone near the cross said,"Surely He must be the Messiah!" 

Another interesting situation that Jesus wanted to proof His Messiahship was when Jesus intentionally waited four days before He arrived at Lazarus' tomb.  Mary and Martha were all upset and wondered why Jesus took so long.  After three days a dead body starts to decay and stinks.  One knows it is dead.  Jesus knew exactly what He was doing by waiting.  Again He used this opportunity to declare His Messiahship .  (John 11:21-25)

Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection , and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead yet shall he live." 

His resurrection is the foundation of our faith.  If He is not risen than we are still in our sins.  Jesus truly is the Messiah.  I know He is alive because He lives within my heart. The sinner ( me) has died in Christ, is buried in Him and am raised to newness of life. God's word is true: repent, be baptized and receive the Holy Spirit.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is always good to hear from you.