Pages

Friday, March 29, 2019

ANOTHER LOOK AT LENT

It's Lent!  Forty days before Easter. It is time to give up something. Let me see. I am a little overweight--chocolate , cheese or ice cream for a start?  How about TV?  Oh no, forget that! March Madness is starting--college basketball games. Wait a minute.  

What am I thinking. Even if I give up sweets or TV, I know myself only too well. Just as soon as Lent is over, I will be right back into the sugar bowl and watching TV.  I don't think I really understand Lent.

From a religious point of view, I think it is a time when man gives up something to honor the Lord's great sacrifice.

 The more I thought about what I wanted to give up, I was more aware of my old man of sin, the flesh.  It doesn't like to give up anything.

But isn't that the point. It is a sacrifice for only forty days.  I could at least do that. It sounded good. 

 I began to ask the Lord what He might like me to give up for Lent. To my surprise, Roman 12:1 and 2 came to mind."I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship." 

He, then, spoke to my heart, "My daughter, the only thing I desire is for you to give me your whole heart. The new heart I transplanted in you when I gave you a new birth."

Then an acrostic for Lent came to mind. 
                    
               
                L-iving               
                        E-ternally  
                N-ow 
                T-oday 

As a believer, He has put eternity in my heart. Every day I desire to bless my Lord.  My new heart is more important to Him than anything I could tangibly offer Him.  He just loves me.  He just loves you, my brothers and sisters because you belong to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is always good to hear from you.