Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

IS YOUR FAITH BUILT ON A SINKHOLE?

The other night, as I was watching the news, right before my eyes, I saw a family home fall into sinkhole. Perhaps you witnessed this too. A home that once sheltered a family from tornados, hurricanes and fire, all of a sudden disappeared. It was gone forever.  In this story, however, I learned that a man was in his bed and never knew what happened to him.  You might ask, why would  anyone build or buy a house built on a sinkhole? I don't think it was intentional. Perhaps the builders, knew better. However, the question still stands, did the builder seriously research information before he developed the area?

This incident made me begin to think, "Is my faith up to code, or is it built on a sinkhole?  Will it hold me through a devastating  crisis, if I lose everything I have held dear?  What if the culture has changed and I am separated from my family and placed in a concentration camp because of my faith? Is my faith built on a rock or a sinkhole?" 


In Mathew 16:13-20, Jesus shows great  concern for the faith of  His own disciples when He asks them this question, "Who do you say that I am?"  He wanted to make sure that their faith was built on Him and not an religious concept. Simon Peter responded, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.".  And Jesus answered him saying,"Blessed are you Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.  And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this ROCK I will build my church, and gates of Hell  shall not prevail against it.."  Jesus Christ is the SOLID ROCK  of our salvation. We build on Christ alone.


Human faith  is a sinkhole. It is NOT enough.  If it was, we would be boastful and proud of our faith. But, it is a gift of God, by grace through faith, so we can't boast.  (Eph.2:9:10) Faith is like a muscle.  We have to use it or it will grow weak. That is why the Lord allows trials and tribulations to test our faith to see whether we are "built up" or "puffed up".  If our relationship with Jesus Christ is real and a growing living relationship, WE ARE NOT BUILDING ON A SINKHOLE!   If our faith is built upon the "rock", the person of the Lord Jesus, there is no reason to fear.  He has promised to never leave or forsake us and to bring us safely to His home in His time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is always good to hear from you.