Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

A Key to Hiding God's Word in Your Heart

In the early seventies and eighties, when I was a young Christian, TM (transcendental meditation ) was very popular in the secular world and many people were carried away with it. For many years, I was afraid to explore biblical meditation because of the association with the idea of meditating.  I found it hard to memorize verses. It seemed as if my mind was always filled with other thoughts.  I was getting older, starting later in life, and I wondered if I ever could memorize scripture. I knew that memorization was important.

It was such a big LIE.  I have to confess that I  let the enemy deceive me.  He knew the POWER IN  MEDITATION and was very successful with his subjects.  I soon learned that the devil would do anything to keep the believer from  BIBLICAL MEDITATION, because he knew the key to hiding God's word in my heart was MEDITATION. It would be a powerful confrontation to Satan's Kingdom. Jesus demonstrated this power in the wilderness when He was tempted and assailed by the devil.  He quoted the Word of God and Satan backed down.  From childhood, Jesus learned the Word of God and hid it in His heart.  The word was there when He needed it. He knew its power through meditating day and night.

Just for fun.  Take a simple verse that you would like to memorize and meditate on it.  Chew on every word, like a cow chews its cud. Take one word at a time and thinking about it.  You might like to look up the Hebrew or Greek meaning of each word in a Strong Concordance.  Before you know it, you will have not only memorized the verse, but allowed the Holy Spirit to feed your soul with a deep truth through meditation.  It will be in your heart when Satan tries to tempt you.  "Submit to God, resist the devil, (with the Word) and He will flee, James 4:7.

 Memorizing scripture through meditation is a very healthy way to meditate.  It renews your mind to think God's thoughts after Him and FAITH will rise more and more in your heart. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing from the Word of God, ( Romans 10:17)


Then I remembered the key to hiding God's Word in my heart was NOT just to MEMORIZE the Word, but to THINK and to PONDER, one verse at a time. For instance, take one simple verse like "If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old  has passed away behold the new has come."  What is God saying about you?  Is He saying that you are completely a new person?  That verse alone is enough to ponder for days. The Holy Spirit will lead you into more and more verses to support that truth.  

MEDITATION IS AN EXCELLENT WAY TO MEMORIZE THE WORD. Memorization is a good thing, but if we first meditate on a verse and on it's context, truth will be revealed and we will begin to hide God's word in our heart. The key is simple, MEDITATE  on the Word and it will change your life.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is always good to hear from you.